The Borough of Baldwin was incorporated in 1952 and named for Henry Baldwin, a U.S. Congressman from Pennsylvania and Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Baldwin is in the South Hills area of Allegheny County, with quick access to downtown Pittsburgh just four to seven miles away.
Baldwin strives to be an ideal place to live and raise a family where quality of life is maintained and supported with responsible commitments to planning. The borough engaged in a comprehensive planning process in 2014—its first in 40 years—to address issues ranging from housing and land-use to economic development and transportation.
Baldwin has an extensive network of recreational and parks facilities, including the Baldwin Swimming Pool at Elm Leaf Park, softball and baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and playgrounds. Additionally, the portion of the Three Rivers Heritage Trail in Baldwin provides prime viewing locations for the eagles nesting in Hays.
Did You Know?
- Baldwin has 1.6 miles of frontage on the Monongahela River, one of the world’s most heavily used waterways.
- The original Baldwin Township incorporated in 1843, covered the area now included in the Boroughs of Baldwin, Whitehall, Brentwood, and Castle Shannon, the present Baldwin Township, and parts of the City of Pittsburgh known by their former borough names of Hays, Carrick, and Overbrook.
- The log house next to the Baldwin municipal building was relocated by the Baldwin Historical Society in 2003 from the land formerly known as the Shultz family farm on Willett Road. The log house—which is dated to 1830—is open to the public and sparsely decorated with various donated items such as pots, a ricer, and a wood stove.
Resources Supporting Baldwin Residents
Civic and neighborhood group serving Bhutanese and Nepalese families and businesses in the Pittsburgh area.