The Borough of Baldwin was incorporated in 1952 and named for Henry Baldwin, a U.S. Congressman from Pennsylvania and Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Baldwin is in the South Hills area of Allegheny County, with quick access to downtown Pittsburgh just four to seven miles away.
Baldwin strives to be an ideal place to live and raise a family where quality of life is maintained and supported with responsible commitments to planning. The borough engaged in a comprehensive planning process in 2014—its first in 40 years—to address issues ranging from housing and land-use to economic development and transportation.
Baldwin has an extensive network of recreational and parks facilities, including the Baldwin Swimming Pool at Elm Leaf Park, softball and baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and playgrounds. Additionally, the portion of the Three Rivers Heritage Trail in Baldwin provides prime viewing locations for the eagles nesting in Hays.
Did You Know?
- Baldwin has 1.6 miles of frontage on the Monongahela River, one of the world’s most heavily used waterways.
- The original Baldwin Township incorporated in 1843, covered the area now included in the Boroughs of Baldwin, Whitehall, Brentwood, and Castle Shannon, the present Baldwin Township, and parts of the City of Pittsburgh known by their former borough names of Hays, Carrick, and Overbrook.
- The log house next to the Baldwin municipal building was relocated by the Baldwin Historical Society in 2003 from the land formerly known as the Shultz family farm on Willett Road. The log house—which is dated to 1830—is open to the public and sparsely decorated with various donated items such as pots, a ricer, and a wood stove.
Despite the nip in the air, an intrepid group of volunteers turned out on Saturday, October 15th for a cleanup of Saw Mill Run in Seldom Seen Greenway. Tires, trash, litter, old carpets and other debris was removed from the banks and the stream. Thanks to all who...read more
Resources Supporting Baldwin Residents
Since its founding in 1959, The Brentwood Baldwin Whitehall Chamber of Commerce has worked to promote every business within our Chamber. Our vision has always been to make our community a better place to live, shop, and do business. As business people, we come together and reach out to every aspect of the community. We sponsor activities to inform residents and businesses of our goods and services. Our luncheons, dinners, and mixers, give us an opportunity to discuss our needs, present our products and services, and discover what others have to offer.
In addition to keeping you advised of local, state, and federal government activities that affect business issues, we unite to influence government decisions and interventions that affect the business climate. We come together to solve problems and address barriers to our prosperity. We cooperate with school districts and all the organizations within them. We assist other civic and municipal organizations, and we honor the families who in turn support our businesses.
The Chamber invites all businesses, professionals, and civic organizations to join us. Together we can work to promote the growth and excellence of our communities.