About Us

Funders & Partners

Driven by collaboration, EDS would not be successful if not for our funders and partners. Critical to our efforts is establishing unique and innovative partnerships. Our organization is honored to partner with the following organizations and communities.

 

Allegheny Conference of Community Development

Allegheny Conservation District

Allegheny County Economic Development

Allegheny Watershed Alliance

Baldwin Borough

Baldwin-Whitehall School District

Bethel Park

Birmingham Foundation

BNY Mellon

Brashear Association

Brentwood Bank

Brentwood Borough

Brentwood School District

Carnegie Mellon University

Carrick Community Council

Castle Shannon Borough

Chesepeake Commons

City of Clairton

City of Clairton School District

City of Pittsburgh

City of Pittsburgh School District

Department of Community and Economic Development

Department of Natural Conservation of Resources

Dollar Bank

EcoBlu

Fifth Third Bank

First National Bank

Foundation for PA Watersheds

GTECH Strategies

Highmark

Highmark Foundation

Hillman Foundation

Hilltop Economic Development Corporation

Huntington Bank

Jefferson Hills Borough

Jefferson Regional Foundation

Just Harvest

Knoxville Community Council

Mon Valley Initiative

Morningstar Community Services, Inc.

Mt. Oliver Borough

Mt. Oliver Borough

Neighborhood Allies

Neighborworks SWPA

Overbrook Community Council

PA American Water

Penn State Center

PennDot

Pittsburgh Community Reinvestment Group

Pittsburgh Foundation

Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy

Pleasant Hills Borough

PWSA

Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh

RK Mellon Foundation

South Pittsburgh Development Corporation

The Design Center of Pittsburgh

The Forbes Fund

The Heinz Endowments

Tree Pittsburgh

University of Pittsburgh

University of Pittsburgh – SBDC

Urban Redevelopment Authority

UrbanKind Institute

US Army Corps of Engineers

Viable Industries

West Jefferson School District

Western Pennsylvania Conservancy

Whitehall Borough

 

Our Member Communities

 Baldwin-Borough-Logo-(1)

Baldwin Borough

The Borough of Baldwin is situated in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. The area is 5.44 square miles running from the Monongahela River at the city line to South Park Township bordering Pleasant Hills, Whitehall, Brentwood, West Mifflin and Bethel Park. Baldwin Borough strives to be an ideal place to live and raise family where quality of life is maintained and supported with responsible commitments in planning.

 

 Bethel-Park-Logo

Bethel Park Borough

Bethel Park is situated in the south hills of Pittsburgh, and is host to a diverse variety of housing, shopping and transportation needs.

 

 Brentwood-Borough-Logo

Brentwood Borough

The Borough of Brentwood is a unified, family-oriented community with a strong commitment to civic pride and traditions. While preserving these standards, ideals and traditions, the community shall strive to provide a high quality of life for all, a superior educational system and residential areas with a more suburban character.

 

 Brookline-Logo

Brookline Neighborhood

Brookline is the third largest neighborhood in the City of Pittsburgh and home to approximately 14,000 residents.  Over the past 20 years, the housing and business markets in the neighborhood have remained relatively stable without large-scale revitalization efforts.

 

 Carrick-Community-Logo

Carrick Neighborhood

Carrick is a city neighborhood located on the southern edge of the City of Pittsburgh known as “The Hilltop.” Well served by multiple bus routes, a Port Authority “T” station and the community backbone of Brownsville Road, Carrick offers convenience.  Numerous local shops, restaurants, taverns, the only operational dairy in the City of Pittsburgh, national chains and a grocery store create the three Brownsville Road business districts.   And views:  the terrain in Carrick offers wonderful views of the surrounding green valleys with Downtown Pittsburgh peeking over the hilltops.  Once home to prominent mansions and wealthy South Side gentry, Carrick currently has an affordable, solid housing stock and remains a family-oriented and hard working community.

 

 Castle-Shannon-Logo

Castle Shannon Borough

Castle Shannon is situated six miles from downtown Pittsburgh offering easy access to major highways and convenient commutes into the city by the Light Rail system.

 

 Clairton-Logo

City of Clairton

Clairton is a thriving community gently nestled between the Monongahela river and Jefferson borough. Its a quick ride to Century III Mall and an easy ride to downtown Pittsburgh. Once known as the Coke Capital of the World, the city was erected in April of 1903. During that time, Wilson, Coal Valley and Peters Creek were not a part of the city. It was a significant part of Washington County.

With a growing population of 8,493, Clairton has maintained the small town feel of comfort and security. It’s a town filled with hardworking young professionals, busy families and active senior citizens. Clairton offers affordable housing, a diverse school system, a quaint public library, a vibrant senior citizen center, lively recreation programs and a variety of dynamic churches. Clairton’s surprise attraction is a beautiful park filled with green foliage with a large swimming pool, two baseball fields, a basketball court and many picnic and pavilion areas. While the launch of the Montour trail rests near Clairton Coke Works, it stretches nearly 47 miles to Coraopolis. Clairton remains a town that many generations call home.

 

 Jefferson-Hills-Logo

Jefferson Hills Borough

Jefferson Hills is located in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, and offers a variety of housing, shopping and transportation needs.

 

 Knoxville-Logo

Knoxville Neighborhood

Knoxville Borough was incorporated on September 7, 1877, from that part of Lower St. Clair Township adjoining Beltzhoover and Allentown. Jeremiah Knox resided there in the early part of the nineteenth century, and established a fruit farm on the site. Strawberries grown at the farm were particularly well known. The location of Knoxville, on the second ridge from the Monongahela River, was a desirable location because it was shielded from the smoke emanating from the factories and mills of the South Side. Knox began to subdivide his farm for residential development in 1872. Knoxville became accessible from the South Side in the 1870s with the opening of an incline, the Mount Oliver Incline, and then by an electric railway, the Pittsburgh, Knoxville & St. Clair Electric Railroad, in 1888. Because of its desirable location and easy access to the South Side, Knoxville attracted many middle managers of the South Side mills as residents. Knoxville Borough was annexed by the City of Pittsburgh in 1927.

 

 Mt.-Oliver-Logo

Mt. Oliver Borough

Mount Oliver Borough is situated in South Pittsburgh and is a residential area situated atop the Hilltop and is entirely surrounded by City of Pittsburgh neighborhoods. Mount Oliver has a long, walkable business district. The Borough is actively working to preserve its history through planning and preservation.

 

 Overbrook-Logo

Overbrook Neighborhood

Overbrook is a City of Pittsburgh neighborhood located in South Hills. Overbrook shares borders with Carrick and Brookline and the borough of Whitehall and Castle Shannon.  Overbrook is convenient to the Brownsville Road retail corridor and is a short-distance to the South Busway and “T” station.  Much like Carrick, Overbrook remains an affordable place to raise a family.

 

 Pleasant-Hills-Logo

Pleasant Hills

As you travel south on Route 51 from Pittsburgh, you’ll pass through many townships and boroughs which border on the 51 Corridor. Just six and a half miles from the Liberty Tunnels sits Pleasant Hills Borough in the heart of the South Hills of Allegheny County. Pleasant Hills is home to 3,500 households and approximately 9,000 residents.

 

 Whitehall-Borough-Logo

Whitehall Borough

The Borough of Whitehall is situated in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. The borough shares its borders with the Boroughs of Brentwood, Baldwin, Pleasant Hills, and the City neighborhoods of Carrick and Overbrook. Whitehall is located conveniently to many urban and suburban amenities and is recognized as a Banner Community by the Allegheny League of Municipalities for its efficient governance.

 

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events.